Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Paficier



well that is what Chad would call it. Grady is off the pacifier. YAY!!! I was really worried about taking it away a few months ago but this was the perfect time.

I went with the out of sight out of mind approach and it worked wonders. This week I have not had to help with preschool so I thought that since I didn't have to get up to go anywhere that the sleepless nights I was expecting would be alright.

On thursday, I took all the pacifiers and put them out of sight and gave him a bottle, read him some stories, and laid him down for his nap. I szat on the couch and waited and waited and waited. No crying so far. Wait here it is, I will just wait it out for a bit cause its not too bad. Silence. do I go check or should I wait longer? Wait, 15 minutes since I laid him down, open the door quietly, sound asleep. Yay, but will he stay asleep? Yes for three glorious hours might I add. And he wakes up happy no crying like before. Awesome.

Now for the night. The same process, and ten minutes and he is out. Is this some kind of miracle? Or a one in a million chance? I go to bed, I wake up to hear him cry, wait five minutes, silence, sneak in, yes back to sleep. Wake up in the morning to Happy gibberish. Fantastic.

Now for day two. We are in a wonderful mood, no whining or whimpering. Lunch and then nap. Same routine, a little yelling but we have a second wind before bed. Grady starts to play in his crib. I let him play because he is laughing to himself and I am eating my own lunch. Cries some more, then that beautiful moment of silence. Well done. This nap is two and a half hours.

We drop Grady off at Grandma and Grandpa Smithson's so we can have a night out. Come back and he is still wide awake with sleep nowhere in sight. well we keep up the same routine, but this time Grady is over tired and restless. He yells and wails to object to his curfew, so we stay calm and leave him for a few minutes. He thankfully falls asleep. two hours later he is awake and mad. I let him cry a little bit then send Chad in to comfort him. That does not work well. Chad brings Grady to bed and he snuggles with me, only to shortly fall asleep in my arms. I put him back in his crib and crawl back into bed. Again he wakes up screaming, so I send in chad to comfort him. Its the weekend so its his job to have a turn. Still so mad so I relent and give him a pacifier. sound asleep until morning.

well the next few days were like the first one and they just keep getting better. which is awesome! I feel like either this is a perfect coincidence or I am a miracle worker! yah right, when hell freezes over. I still pray every night that he will sleep well and without a fight. Will that ever change?

Oh and we started whole milk which Grady loves more than he did his goats milk. Yay for cheaper baby food costs! one more thing Grady has another tooth and one more that will be here next week. Poor kid.

2 comments:

Go Farr Family said...

We are so proud of you Grady! He went with me to the store the other day - he was so amazing. I had him buckled into the basket, but to this amazing kids ability, he squirmed out in just seconds and was facing backwards with his little leg up on the handle checking out something he was interested in. I was grateful Amilee gave me the heads up to his gymnastic abilities! Such a fun kid

Lyndsay Winters said...

I hope Bostyn will do as well, but I highly doubt it. She is very attached to her passy! Good job Grady.